Saturday 1 July 2017

30/06/2017 - Shoya Nouvelle Wafu Cuisine

Location: 25 Market Ln, Melbourne VIC 3000

I booked this place 3 weeks in advance to ensure that my girlfriend and myself can enjoy the dining experience at Shoya and they did give us an unforgettable experience indeed. They responded promptly to my reservation and confirmed the reservation within the day. They also confirmed the name of my girlfriend so that they can have something special prepared for her!

We arrived too early on the day itself but the chef was kind enough to let us in to have a seat as the weather was pretty cold outside. (the cons of a cold wintery evening). In total, we spent about 2 hours in the restaurant - which was quite a long time. The service was very good throughout the course of the meal but at some instances, I did have some problems understanding her when she was explaining the dishes to us after service.

We ordered the Chef 'New Age' Omakase Course each and it consists of the following items:

  • Siberian Sturgeon Caviar
  • Kurogoma Udon
  • Amago Shumai
  • Bunka age
  • Hatching Ocean Egg
  • Assortment of Sashimi
  • Hokkaido Crab Tempura
  • Smoked Applewood Tuna Toro
  • Wagyu Beef Steak Volcano Hot Plate (1 main for girlfriend) 
  • Hotate Namasoy Volcano Hot Plate (1 main for myself)
  • Suimono
  • Chef's Dessert
This was the caviar. Salty but goes well with the wine. Initially we thought this was the drinks we ordered but it turned out that it part of the degustation. (The drinks we ordered were too strong ... )

Combination of the Ox Tongue (right), Udon (middle) and Sea eel (left). We stirred the udon obediently and it tasted surprising cold but good.

There is some egg omelette in there. But it was all done with a few scoops.

This was the sashimi and the hand ground wasabi on the left which tasted pretty nice. The portion looks a bit small but it was pretty fresh and tasty!

Huge big crab leg in tempura. The green tea salt was too salty and the shell of the crab was too soft to be cracked.

I popped this whole item into my mouth. Eating them together gives it a good taste and mix.

This was one of the mains with the hot plate. The scallops were pretty fresh

This dish was quite the let down. The meat was normal. I had better meat dishes at other places.

and Finally! The custom made dessert dish for my girlfriend! It was pretty nice of them to do this! You would need to let them know in advance when you book!
Damage:  A whopping 150 AUD per pax for the degustation and 13 AUD for the strong drinks on the side. Overall it was a pretty good experience and I am glad that they remembered to make something special for my girlfriend. I would probably head back there again and try their ala-carte dishes! My girlfriend enjoyed her birthday dinner very much - so I am quite happy to pay for it. Do remember to book in advance if you want to try it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment